Frequently Asked Questions

Here you can find the Embassy´s answers to various questions related to consular and other issues.

How do I apply for an Icelandic citizenship?

Foreign citizens can apply for an Icelandic citizenship to the Icelandic Ministry of Justice. Icelandic citizenship is granted in accordance with Icelandic law.

How can I locate my relatives in Iceland?

If you know their full names, most Icelanders can be located either through the National Registry or the Icelandic phonebook.

Can the Embassy assist in applying for a residence permit?

No. Applications for a residence permit should be directed firsthand to the Icelandic Directorate for Immigration.

What can I bring with me when traveling to Iceland (food, fishing gear, alcohol and pets)?

The Directorate of Customs website answers these and other questions.

Do I have a machine readable passport so that I can enter the US?

Icelandic citizens carrying a passport issued after June 1st 1999 should have a machine readable passport. For further information about machine readable passports see the US Department of States website.

What are biometric passports?

Biometric passports are passports that include a computer chip that can store a digital photograph, information regarding retinal verification and fingerprints. These passports are not yet issued by Iceland, but in future they will become standard travel documents for travel to the US and other nations. They should not be confused with electronically readable passports that are now required for travel to the US.

Video Gallery

View more videos