Getting Married in Iceland

In the Reykjavik area civil marriage ceremonies are performed at the office at on weekdays (Wednesday-Friday) at the office at Hlíðarsmári 1, Kópavogur at 14:00, 14:20, 14:40 and 15:00. There is a fee of IKR 7.700,-.

If the civil marriage is to take place outside of Reykjavik area, the local District Commissioner should be contacted. 

Special wishes for a different time and place are respected, if at all possible. That, however, can raise the cost considerably. 

Before civil marriage can take place, the partners must submit documentation to verify that there are no impediments to the marriage according to The Law in Respect of Marriage no. 93, April 14th,1993. Both parties must be 18 years of age and not already married.

Only original documents will be accepted. Documents in other languages than English and the Scandinavian languages have to be accompanied by a translation.

All documents must be submitted 3 weeks before the planned wedding date. If more convenient, copies can first be sent by e-mail, and the originals handed in at a later date, but no later than 5 days before the planned wedding date. If you are traveling from abroad we ask that you send copies of all documents before you leave your home country so that we can confirm that they are in order. If the documents are not submitted within this time frame, the planned marriage will be considered cancelled.

When the ceremony has taken place, a marriage certificate, in English, can be obtained from Registers Iceland (Þjóðskrá Íslands)

Þjóðskrá (The National Registry Office)
Borgartún 24
105 Reykjavík
Tel.: 354 515 5300

If you are a citizen or resident of Denmark, Norway, Sweden or Finland, read this

The required documents – three weeks before the planned wedding date:

1.  Hjónavígsluskýrsla/ marriage notification

The form can be sent to you by mail if required.  The form has to be carefully filled in, signed by both parties, and signed by two trustworthy persons who, by signing the form, vouch for the fact that there are no legal impediments to the planned marriage.

2.  Birth certificate.

Both partners need to submit their birth certificates.  The originals can be returned after the wedding ceremony if required.

3.  Certificate of marital status.

Both partners need to submit a certificate of marital status issued by the relevant authority in their country, state or region.  The certificate must be issued within 8 weeks prior to the wedding ceremony.

Some countries do not issue a certificate of marital status. If that has been confirmed, and the bride/groom is a foreign citizen or residing abroad, a certificate issued by the relevant authorities in their country, confirming that there are no impediments to the planned marriage, is required.

4.  If bride/groom is divorced.

A divorce decree, a document to prove that previous marriage has ended with a divorce.  It is also necessary to prove that the division of assets and liabilities between the former spouses have been finalized.

5.  If bride/groom is a widow/widower.

An official document showing that the estate (assets and liabilities) of the deceased spouse has been finalized/divided.

6.  Passports.

Both partners must present valid passports.

Video Gallery

View more videos