The volcanic eruption in Holuhraun has ended
- The volcanic eruption in Holuhraun has been declared over
- Aviation colour code for Bárðarbunga has been downgraded from orange to yellow
- The restricted area surrounding the eruption site now extends 20 m beyond the edge of the lava field
- Civil Protection Authorities in Iceland are still operating at an alert phase
The volcanic eruption in Holuhraun, which began 31st August 2014 was declared over on Saturday 28th February 2015 by the Scientific Advisory Board of the Icelandic Civil Protection. The area is still closely monitored in case of further development. The restricted area surrounding the eruption site now extends 20 m beyond the edge of the new lava field. Gas contamination is still being detected even though the eruption is over.
Civil Protection authorities are still operating in alert phase although the Aviation Colour Code for Bárðarbunga has been downgraded from orange to yellow.
Further information can be found at the Civil Protection Authorities website.
- Gas dispersion forecast
- Chief Epidemiologist (Health info)
- The Icelandic Met Office - Facebook
- The Environment Agency
- Civil Protection - Facebook - Twitter
- Safe Travel
- The Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration