Application for an Icelandic Passport

Please note that all applicants have to submit applications in person.
It is very important that the applicant signs the application form in front of an official from the embassy mission or consulate.

Requirements for Icelandic Passports:

1) Your current passport.

2) One passport photo of the size 35mm x 45mm.

3) A cheque made payable to "Consulate General of Iceland in New York" for the fee of

$100 (inc. postage) for Passports for 18 - 66 years of age

$50 (inc.postage) for Passport for age 67 and above and children under 18 years of age.

4) Applications for passports for children under 18 years of age must include:

a) Written permission of parent(s) or responsible adult with whom the child lives,
b) Copy of birth cerificate, where names of both parents are listed,
c) Photocopy of parent´s passports,
d) If the child´s mother is not an icelandic citizen a copy of the marriage cerificate is needed.

5) Children who were not born in Iceland and apply for a passport must have an Icelandic Identity Number before applying. Children´s name and ID-NO will be checked with the National Registry to avoid discrepancies. This is important.

6) The applicant must proof his/her identity by showing Driving Licence, creditcard w/photo or an old Passport.    

7) Please note that it is only possible to write the applicant´s name in the passport as he/she is registered with the National Registry.

8) It´s important that the applicant writes his/her daytime telephone number on the application form.

9) The total process time for a new passport is 3 to 4 weeks.

Lost or stolen passport

When you receive your passport it is advisable to make a photocopy of the first page or take note of your passport details. This information should be kept somewhere safe, and away from you passport in case it is lost or stolen.

If your passport is stolen, you should immediately report the loss to the nearest police station. You also need to report a loss of your passport to the issuing authority. The Consulate General in New York can help you either by issuing a new passport or a temporary travel document. ;

Inspired by Iceland