Sustainable Development Goals - Open Working Group - Statement of Iceland
Statement by the Deputy Permanent Representative of Iceland
to the Open Working Group on the Sustainable Development Goals
6 February 2014
Sustainable development and gender equality are mutually reinforcing; one can not happen without the other
Iceland supports a stand alone goal on achieving gender equality and women´s empowerment as well as mainstreaming gender throughout the SDG´s with gender-specific targets and indicators.
Having a stand alone goal will demonstrate the political commitment of Member States to the importance of ensuring gender equality, women´s rights and women´s empowerment.
Gender mainstreaming will ensure that gender equality, women´s rights and women´s empowerment are integral parts of sustainable development . Further, the overall role of men and boys needs to be acknowledged throughout.
The targets of a stand alone goal should
· ensure women´s equal political representation and participation;
· ensure women´s and girls sexual and reproductive health and rights;
· eliminiate all forms of violence against women and girls;
· ensure literacy for all women and girls, and eliminate gender disparities at all levels and forms of education; and finally
· eliminate gender disparities in access and control over economic resources, including land.
Next year, when will adopt the New Development Agenda, we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action. We hope that the commitments in the SDG´s will be progressive gender inclusive and give a real cause for celebration.
Thank you, Mr. Chair