Icelandic driving licences are valid in the UK and there is no obligation to exchange it for a UK licence. However, the Embassy strongly recommend that Icelandic driving licence holders residing permanently in the UK exchange their licence. Application forms from the DLVA can be found in most Post Office branches and ordered online.
How to apply for an Icelandic driving licence.
- Book an appointment on tel. 0207 259 3999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide the Embassy with your Icelandic ID number. The Embassy will then order the relevant application form from the Icelandic police.
What to bring to your appointment
- Valid Icelandic passport.
- Two new high quality passport photographs (in colour). Background must be white, facial expression should be neutral with mouth closed. We recommend not using home photographs.
- Recent eye test certificate, if the driver uses glasses.
- Application fee, payable by debit card.
Lost and stole driving licence
The loss and theft of Icelandic driving licences should be reported to the police. Report the loss or theft to the Embassy of Iceland as well on email@example.com or tel. 0207 259 3999.
Provisional driving licence
Note that provisional driving licences cannot be renewed at the Embassy.