Getting married in Iceland
For civil ceremonies in Reykjavik, contact:
District Commissioner (Syslumadurinn í Reykjavík)
Fax: 354- 562 4870
For details pertaining to a Church wedding you should also contact either of the following:
The Dean of Reykjavík (East)
Tel: 354 587 2405
The Dean of Reykjavík (West)
Tel: 354 510 1000
Fax: 354 510 1010
The following documents are required:
1) A birth certificate confirming that each party to the prospective marriage has reached 18 years of age.
2) A valid passport for each foreign individual
3) A certificate of marital status
4) A valid divorce degree if one or both of the individuals intending to marry have been married before. An original or certified copy, confirmed by the Ministry of Justice of Iceland, is required.
5) An application form properly filled in and the certification of two witnesses confirming the parties ability to marry. The witnesses must write their names on the application before the ceremony. They must be 18 years of age (documentation required).